Jumpin’ on the Chalk Paint wagon

Okay, okay. I get it. Chalk painting is the ‘it’ craft lately. Everybody’s doing it. Annie Sloan seems to have a corner on the chalk paint market right now, and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) for me, you can’t purchase it online and the closest place in my state that sells the stuff is 350 miles away. It’s not exactly easy to obtain. Plus, it’s a tad on the pricey side (a quart for $35!), if you ask me.
I decided to scour the interwebs for a chalk paint recipe. I found one that sounded reasonable (see here), made a list and headed to my  *local hardware store* to get some supplies.
*I would like to take a brief moment to plug local stores and local buying. I think it’s really important to shop locally and keep the money in your local community instead of lining the pockets of big box store upper echelon. Trust me, if everyone did it, it would be worth the extra few dollars you save. End plug*

What I needed for my project:

  • Paint Brushes
  • Interior Paint (I used Satin Finish)
  • Plaster of Paris
  • Finishing Wax
  • Drop Cloth
  • Stir Sticks
  • Reusable Containers (for mixing)
  • Water

And of course, I needed something to practice on, so I chose this ugly, cheap old desk.

Image

It was painted black and is made out of cheap wood –  I’m pretty sure it’s particleboard. I confess, I was kind of worried about painting over black and not sanding or priming it first. But, I followed the directions on the blog and did my thing.
The original recipe called for 4 tablespoons of POP and 2 tablespoons of water. This did not work for me. I mixed it smooth, but it was too thick and it ended up clumping up in my paint. I had to scoop the clumps out and make a new batch, but this time I used equal parts water/POP. I added it to my paint, mixed it up and went to work. It can’t be too thick and it can’t be too thin. That is the trickiest part.

Here is a photo after I applied the first coat:
(Note: Sorry for the poor quality photos. I was in the basement, using my iPhone.)
Image

The black was really bleeding through, so I was beginning to wonder if this was all a big mistake.

But after coat 2, it looked really good! Image

I added one more coat of paint and then I decided to paint a bird on it to give it a little extra flare. I found an outline of a heron online and printed it out. I traced the outline of it with a pencil and then got out my acrylic paints and filled it in.

DSCN0063DSCN0065 After the bird dried, I waxed it all over with finishing wax.

I was going to distress this with sandpaper, but when I started sanding it, I didn’t think it looked right on this particular piece of furniture, so I painted over it. I’ll have to try the distressing feature on another piece.

Hey, I think it looks pretty decent for it being my first time furniture painting endeavor! Now I just need to find a space to put it!

DSCN0069DSCN0071I can’t wait to paint more furniture. I have a couple of old kitchen chairs that are just dying for a new look! I am feeling inspired after this project.On an end note, I think the make your own chalk paint worked well. If you’re feeling crafty, give it a try! The possibilities are endless!

Until next time,

The Wild Belle